Unique baritone saxophone ensemble featuring some of Western Canada's top jazz musicians.
Baritone Madness was formed by Pat Belliveau, Keith O’Rourke, and Gareth Bane to bring the magic of the baritone saxophone to jazz audiences. Baritone Madness is a highly unique configuration; a quintet comprised of three baritone saxophonists as leads, supported by a rhythm section of double bass and drums. These players have captivated audiences through their inventive originals and thoughful arrangements of music by Gerry Mulligan, Pepper Adams and Hamiett Bluiett that complement the low range of the baritone sax. As a group they have been playing together for enthusiastic audiences since they began in February of 2016. In 2019, they took to the road to share their new music with fans at Montreal International Jazz Festival, TD Ottawa Jazz Festival and TD Edmonton International Jazz Festival. Their self-titled album, was released on September 13, 2019. It debuted at #1 on Canadian jazz radio and held the spot for 3 months straight – landing at #5 for the 2019 year, hit #7 in the US, and has garnered rave reviews across North America.
- 2019 summer tour to jazz festivals, Canada Council supported – Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton
- Album release September 2019 on Chronograph Records
- Radio chart debut at #1 in Canada, held the #1 spot for 3 months straight
- #5 on Canadian jazz radio charts for the 2019 year
- Hit #7 in the US on the campus jazz charts
- Earned excellent reviews in Le Devoir (Montreal), New York City Jazz Record, Jazz Weekly, Art Music Lounge, Jersey Jazz, Ottawa Jazz Scene, and Wulf’s Music.